Wednesday, August 3, 2011

New Spidey's 1st Appearance, Liefeld's Last Chance

Ultimate Fallout #4
Written by: Bendis, Hickman, Spencer
Art by: Crain, Larroca, Pichelli
Well it turns out that if you read yesterday's blog, then you learned just about everything interesting that there was to tell about Ultimate Fallout #4. Peter's been replaced by a young African-American/Latino teen who has some sort of similar, but undefined power set. The entire reveal was just a short portion of the story covered in this issue. Also covered were evil Ultimate Reed Richards, who's putting together what looks like an Ultimate version of the Future Foundation (the current incarnation of the Fantastic Four in the 616 universe) and two ladies talk about how it's about to be revealed that the U.S. government is responsible for the creation of mutants. Minus the intro to Miles as Spidey (even though they never mention his name here) this issue stunk and detracted from my excitement over the relaunch of the Ultimate universe. Step it up, boys.

The Infinite #1
Written by: Kirkman
Art by: Liefeld
That's right, I bought it! Ugh. It felt so wrong. As I handed it to the guy at the check-out counter I felt shame like I haven't felt since I bought my first Playboy in public. As he pulled it from the pile, we both knew that what was happening was so, so wrong, but neither of us spoke a word. In this moment there existed a quiet understanding between two fanboys that this was a big mistake and neither of us were proud to be a part of it.

Yes, I spend money on Rob Liefeld's art. But I mean, c'mon! It's written by the great Robert Kirkman and it's about time travel. It had to be worth the measly $2.99 I was shelling out. Nope. Not at all. Not even a little bit. Truly awful.

Kirkman's writing was right out of the early Image days (which I'm guessing is part of the point of this book?). Liefeld's art was atrocious as always. I'm sorry...that's all I can muster about this one. Next time you're in your local comic book shop, just flip through it when nobody's looking and you'll see what I'm saying.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I need a shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment