Monday, August 22, 2011

The Art of Marvel Comics (in November)

When it comes to comics, nothing degrades or enhances a story more than the artwork. For me, bad art is not just a negative when reading a comic, it's a complete deal breaker. On the other hand, I've stuck it out with some pretty damn poor writing when the art's pretty. I definitely see the pencils, inks and colors as the main reason to purchase a book, with the storyline a very close second. Don't get me wrong. When I say "close" I mean uncomfortably close, but the art still wins.

That's probably why I get all twitterpated every month when Marvel releases its solicitations for the comics due to be released 3 months in the future. Sure, I read the description, but really I want to see the latest Romita, Quesada, Granov, Bachalo or McNiven. This is not to say that I don't peruse Image and DC's solicitations as well, but hell, even with just the A-list artists I've listed here, those companies' talent pools just seem shallow.

Marvel released its November solicitations recently, so I've pulled out a few of the highlights for you, loyal reader. Keep in mind, lithographs of these prints are always great gift ideas. You know...for me.

For the complete Marvel Comics November solicitations all in one place, visit the good people at Newsarama.com

AVENGERS #19
Pencils & Cover by Daniel Acuna
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #674
Variant Cover by Paqual Ferry
FANTASTIC FOUR #600
 Variant Cover by Joe Quesada


AVENGING SPIDER-MAN #1
Pencils & Cover by Joe Madureira
X-MEN #20
Cover by Adi Granov
THE INCREDIBLE HULK #2
Pencils & Cover by Marc Silvestri

ULTIMATE COMICS HAWKEYE #4
Cover by Kaare Andrews

No comments:

Post a Comment